Monday, June 16, 2008

La Migra

Yes the title is probably spelled incorrectly. But the real purpose of this post is a question I have. Many people are suprised by my stance on immigration. It seems most Republicans think that illegal immigration is bad and when questioned on it they say "because its illegal". So my question is what gives our federal government the right to restrict immigration to our country. The easy answer is national security. But if you look closely that is not my question. The question is why does the government have the power to make immigration illegal. For example why are their quotas on the number of immigration visas allowed.
Another question is if capitalism makes the US so great why is it illegal for me to contract with someone from another country for his labor. Assume that we are both adults and consent and actually see mutual benefit from our contract. How, in a capitalist society, can this contract be illegal.
Just to put it out there if I had any say I would have no quotas and allow anyone who wanted to work to come. I suppose to appease the masses I would have some kind of background check in place to ensure they weren't criminals. This then would stem the flow of "illegals" to an amount that the border patrol could actually manage. Also this would only leave criminals trying to come in illegally. That means instead of a border fence, which would be totally ineffective - see Maginot Line, we could use predator drones with hellfire missiles or gatlin cannons to patrol the border. And you cant tell me that that wouldn't be cool.

1 comment:

Ti'ana said...

i agree for the most part. a very large chunk of our economy is based on the work they supply here. and since when did Americans (that is from the US) become so anti American dream and anti what America is totally based on? i think people need to open their eyes and set aside their stereotypes and prejudices.